- 2 lbs beef short ribs (not thin-cut)
- 1-2 lbs korean radish
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 medium-large yellow onion
- 1 large 3-inch piece of ginger
- 3-6 green onions
- 16-20 cups of cold water
- Glass noodles (try Ottogi Korean Vermicelli)
- Tofu (medium-firm)
- Chopped green onions
- Soy sauce
- Salt (to taste)
Makes 6-8 Servings
- Blanch short ribs in boiling water for 10 minutes on high heat. Rinse the ribs off and place in a clean pot.
- Slice the garlic bulb in half, slice the tops and bottoms off of the onion, cut the ginger into 4-5 slices, and peel the radish. Break the green onion in half. You can leave the skin on the onion/garlic and the stems on the scallions, but be sure to wash thoroughly first. Place everything in the pot and add water.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, and reduce to a low simmer for at least an hour and a half. Skim off any fat as needed. When done boiling, discard the onion, scallions, and ginger. Cut the radish and re-add to the broth.
- Boil any glass noodles, tofu, or other toppings separately and serve with chopped scallions. Any salt and soy sauce should be added per bowl, and not to the pot. The short ribs should come off the bone by the time it is ready.